Spaghetti Bolognese with Shiitake Mushrooms & Basil
- 0.5kg Beef Mince
- 1 Brown Onion, Diced
- 2 Clove Garlic, Finely Diced
- 3 Cups Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, Soaked in Hot Water
- 1/2 Bunch Basil, Roughly Chopped
- 1 Carrot, Finely Diced
- 1 Zucchini, Finely Diced
- 1 Packet Spaghetti
- 1 Jar Pasta Sauce or Tinned Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Add some oil to a frying pan and bring up to temperature. Add your onions and garlic and cook until soft, then add your mince.
- Remove the mushrooms from the water after soaking for at least half an hour (do not throw away the water) and roughly chop into small pieces
- Cook the mixture until the mince is cooked through and browning before adding the carrot, zucchini, mushrooms and basil (leave some fresh basil for garnish)
- Add your pasta sauce and 1 cup of the liquid the mushrooms have been soaking in. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for a further half an hour until all the flavours have soaked into the meat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil some water and cook the spaghetti. Serve up with fresh basil and Parmesan.